Facebook followers of my blog!

Aine MacAodha ~ Poetry and Lens

Aine MacAodha

My photo
Omagh, North Ireland, Ireland
Writer/poet,avid photographer with a great interest in Celtic Myths, Mysticism, crystal healing, orbs in photography, Chemtrails, the sky above and the beauty in the Irish landscape . I live in Omagh North of Ireland where the Sperrin Mountains are my inspiration in any season. I have three poetry books published titled 'Where the Three Rivers Meet' and 'Guth An Anam ~Voice of The Soul and my latest Published by Lapwing Press Belfast, 'Landscape of self'~ You can find my links at top of my blog.

Wednesday, 8 June 2011

A look back to the past~

I would like to share a few photos of ancient sites found in County Tyrone that I took on my travels; the first few are of Beagmore Stone circles located between Omagh and Cookstown and near the An Creggan visitors centre. The circles were unearthed during the seasonal turf or peat cutting in the 1940's period and to the farmers may have looked like a heap of old stones. The seven stone circles and three cairns date back to 2600bc, used for burials or a gathering place. Very well kept and easily got to with clear signposts along the route.
Beagmore ~ Moor of the Birches~






Aghascrebagh Ogham Stone and standing stone.

Found along the same route as the Stone Circles in the town land of Greencastle and as luck has it both in the same field, a bit more trickier to get to, climb a few fences and briars and if you don't mind the odd cow curiously snooping about, it's a site to see. The Ogham stone is marked with lines and notches, the first form of writing, these stones are dated around 500 bc.






Creggandevesky Court Tomb


Again along the same route and around two miles from the An Creggan visitors centre on the main Omagh to Cookstown road...
During he dig remains of 21 people were found to be buried in this chamber which is very large and well preserved. Dated 4000 years of age. Creggandevesky (the Stony Place of Black Water). Court tombs are rectangular burial chambers and you can clearly see the dry stone wall work, very creative for early man.~




3 comments:

Sun Singer said...

Great photographs. Wish I could visit.

Malcolm

D.M. SOLIS said...

Stunning, truly stunning in the stillness of your images and in the deep sense of place. On my list of travels I wish to see these places. Thank you for your sensitive artful ways of seeing and sharing. Peace,

Diane

John of Celtic Ways said...

Beaghmore,I love it there, figure of 8 circles with centre mounds that I am sure had holed standing stones on them at one time, plus aisles entering between them. I am sure this is the best found remains of Bealtaine mating circles, though the big circle with the teeth like rocks is indeed a mystery there. Beautiful place, many many sites on the Sperrins.