Facebook followers of my blog!

Aine MacAodha ~ Poetry and Lens

Aine MacAodha

My photo
Omagh, North Ireland, Ireland
Writer/poet,avid photographer with a great interest in Celtic Myths, Mysticism, crystal healing, orbs in photography, Chemtrails, the sky above and the beauty in the Irish landscape . I live in Omagh North of Ireland where the Sperrin Mountains are my inspiration in any season. I have three poetry books published titled 'Where the Three Rivers Meet' and 'Guth An Anam ~Voice of The Soul and my latest Published by Lapwing Press Belfast, 'Landscape of self'~ You can find my links at top of my blog.

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Litha ~ Summer Solstice

~ The days after Summer Solstice will again begin to  shorten and the nights long until we reach the next Solstice on the Celtic wheel, Yule.
 For me it's a time to think over the past 6 months with gratitude and I wonder what the following months will bring. I make a special effort to rise before sun rise and just welcome in the new fire festival, spend parts of the day out in the garden always finding something to do~
The word Solstice is from Latin (sol) Sun and Sistere (stand still)
Gemstones associated with Litha are Green and yellow like Jade and Yellow topaz.


~As long as the curtains open anew, there draws the breath of theatre~ Aine MacAodha

~Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you~ Maori proverb







~No one condemns the birds in the trees
for singing all sorts of songs into the air
so it should be with humans.
we should all be free to sing our own tunes~
Aine macAodha




Morning song

Rising just before sun rise
it's a special morning
the longest day of the year
afterward the daylight decreases.

The house is deadly quiet
the buzzing of the freezer
and the kettle boiling

break the silent air.
I tip toe about as if I’m going to
waken a house load of weans.

It’s the bird song that heralds
in the solstice, the dark curtain
not fully opened.

Fields mist laden and the thorn bushes
glisten in the morning dew
like lost diamonds

awaiting the eye of the magpie to
swoop in and grab. Even the crows
make a special effort on this morning.

It’s frosty for June so I pull a jumper
over my shoulders and contemplate
the song of the solstice in the air.

1 comment:

A Heron's View said...

The day of Summer Solstice is not as supposed the longest day, rather it represents the mean or middle of nine long days.